Titus 2:4-5 " that they admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, tobe discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the Word of God may not be blasphemed."
1Tim. 2:9-10 " in like manner also, the the women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with propriety and moderation, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or costly clothing, but which is proper for women professing godliness with good works."
I hope you all will understand at my posting this on the "family" blog as opposed to on my devotional blog. It is a personal appeal to each one of you because I love you .
Our culture has gone crazy. Immodesty is so much a part of our culture that we don't even recognize it sometimes for what it is. Between media, advertising, and the general public, it becomes very difficult to identify and discern choices that are truly "chaste", "discreet", and "modest". You are all beautiful and shapely girls. This puts a greater burden on you to be careful in your clothing choices. It is unloving not to consider how what you wear affects both the men and women around you. When you reveal too much, you not only tempt men to sin in their minds but women to sin by reaching to greater revealing of skin in order to compete with your natural shape or to envy you.
I would like to give you some standards to prayerfully consider for your lives, and to request that you abide by when you come to our home or family gatherings. I realize that I have no authority to dictate in your lives and I intend no offense or judgement Nonetheless I request of you as your mother, please refrain from tight shirts. ( A tight shirt is one that you cannot insert your fist comfortably into (all the way up) or that shows ridges from being pulled tightly across your body or clearly reveals your bra lines.) Please do not reveal cleavage. Please check your shirts to see if when you bend over if you will inadvertantly reveal cleavage or undergarments when you are tending to your children or picking things up off the floor. Since you are all so shapely, please remember that if the shirt fits your waist it most certainly will be tight in the chest area. Please keep your skirts at or below knee length and your shorts closer to your knee than your leg joint when you are sitting. I am so sorry to have to make these blunt requests. Please consider and understand that I am presently trying to raise 2 young men to be Godly men. Teaching them what true beauty looks like (so they will choose Godly spouses) is a difficult task in today's culture. Since you are such beautiful girls, it is a blessing to me and to your brothers when you demonstrate outward beauty that is "chaste", "discreet", and "modest".
Please forgive me if you think I've overstepped. It is not my intention to offend or anger any of you or your husbands, but this request comes from my heart to each of you. If there had been only one offender, or one instance I would most certainly have only approached that one. Since I am making this a broad appeal, you can draw a different conclusion. Thank you for reading and for prayerfully considering what I've had to say. I love you all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
there are actually alot of things that I've been thinking about....noticing....etc. This particular post just came first because it so specifically applies to what I am doing at the moment-which is raising your brothers. Remember the Rechabites and the influence they had in the Word for all time.... love you.
thank you for the post, and thank you for always modeling such modest clothing for us. You have always dressed so pretty and modest from my first memory of you and I want you to know that I really strive to be like you.
Also I think those are great guidlines and I appreciate them and I also want these guidlines to be followed at my house and around male members in my house, as I'm sure all the other sisters do.
Wonderful list and also hits the nail on areas that is sometimes hard to hold the line on. To deny that the temptation is there would be lying but it helps to know that others out there are trying to be Godly examples as well. When things in the world are soooo awful, it sure helps to remember what the real thing is!!!!!
Thank you for the post and I greatly appreciate it and will strive to make sure I uphold it. I have been increasing concerned about what the world is going to look like when my boys get older. I shall make a greater effort though to be careful in my appearance. Thank you again for the post.
Post a Comment